Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How I got into ISB (part 3)

Wow no one is reading this !! Blah, it never really mattered to me if any is really listening...I ll still keep screaming so here I am.

How I got into ISB - PART 3. Wow this is longer than the Rambo series but was it worth it? I have no clue man...will find out on April 9th!

OK, loads of stuff is happening and suddenly my life revolves around 3 letters I,S,B. Yea man. I already feel like a dork! PS: Its also the LAST TWO WEEKS AT WORK!! Yipppeeee..Ok more of that later!

So anyways, I did tell you about how to write the essays and the recos and all that gyaan which I am sure you knew sub consciously. This is the most important blog of them all I guess. This is about my INTERVIEW.

So after praying really hard and bribing God with all my worldly belongings, I finally got an ISB call. I swear I was freaking nervous that Friday because it was the last weekend for Mumbai calls (according to the calculations on Pagalguy). I kept refreshing my Gmail at work and then got hooked to my gmail on the phone. And then suddenly the mail was there from PGPAdmissions sitting pretty over my other mails - the INTERVIEW INVITATION MAIL. :)

After the initial jubilation, screaming in joy, calling every name on my phone book and taking leave for the entire week to prepare - I was suddenly zapped. I dint know where to begin! The truth was I knew zilch about Real Estate and even lesser about FMCG (according to my app that was my dream industry).

The first thing I did was search for blogs about interviews (which has inspired me to write these) and note down all the questions and words which come for essays. I basically figured that there are seven categories of questions:

1. Icebreaker questions -> how was your trip, what did you like about Hyd, how is Mumbai different from Hyd etc
2. Personal questions -> what is your strength, weakness, hobbies, what do you do in your free time, social and NGO activities
3. Present Career related -> which project did you handle, how could you do it better, where did you go wrong, what would you do differently, how did you deal with this situation etc, why MBA, how will it help you, about your company, about your industry
4. Future Goals related questions -> what industry, why are you attracted to this industry, general knowledge about the industry, where do you see yourself 5 years from now etc
5. ISB related -> why ISB, which companies, which clubs etc
6. General Awareness -> your stand on the Kashmir issue, Babri masjid issue etc
7. Guesstimate Questions -> How many spoons do you need in a restaurant, how many cars are parked in the Hyd airport today etc. I love these, they are fun and you can assume most data correctly.

How did I go about preparing, well for starters I read Economic Times, TOI (especially the editorials) and cut out the articles that matched my line of thinking for reference. Secondly, I went through the complete ISB website to read about all the activities, competitions, clubs, companies, placement trends etc. I also looked deep within myself to understand why have I chosen this path to look for genuine answers and wrote all these down.

I also tried writing two three one word essays but realized it was futile. They probably put pages of dictionary in front of a peacock and pick a word from the page the peacock chews up first! OK, bad joke but seriously - its futile.

Anyways guys, its 5 pm (almost) I need to leave this shit-hole (workplace) so guys I guess there is a part 4!! Till then adios amigos!

No comments: